Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chinese on Brunswick

I curled up in bed for a power nap on Saturday afternoon after a slightly boozy Friday evening. I awoke in a fluster, realising I had slept through my alarm that was set to wake me in time to be refreshed and ready for dinner with friends at 7.30. I hurried out of the house, hopped on a couple trams and made it from my bed in East Melbourne to the restaurant in North Melbourne, only an hour-and-a-bit late. Okay, to clarify: anyone that knows me would appreciate that getting ready in that record amount of time was pretty much a miracle for me. Despite being proud of my own ninja-like speedy efforts, my friends had admittedly finished their meals (and a bottle of wine). Not the best of starts to a night out, but at least I was in a great mood after a long, revitalising sleep!

Anyway, back to the point. Dinner was at Mao's, a small licensed and B.Y.O Chinese restaurant - bordering on daggy - in Brunswick Street: Fitzroy's main dining and bar-hopping precinct. I was warmly greeted by the waitress and my bottle of wine was promptly opened and poured. I was ready to eat my own arm by this point, so I picked three tasty-sounding entree items off the extensive menu so I could sample as much as possible, as soon as possible.

Fried bean curd arrived shortly after ordering and was presented in some sort of amazingly flavoursome, sweet Chinese sauce (almost like a soup). I wish I had noted down what it was! Alongside this, a generous serve of tender parcels of vegetarian dumplings (I had a serious craving for these) were perfectly accompanied by my favourite Asian veggie: bok choy.


The third dish was a bit naughty: fried calamari pieces that were served battered and crispy, which complimented the soft flesh of the calamari. This dish was the greasy one of the three, but I loved that about it - it was perfect with my wine and the girls couldn't resist stealing a piece!



My experience at Mao's was entirely satisfying: it was 'simple - done well'. Flavoursome food at affordable prices, a buzzing yet relaxed atmosphere and friendly, attentive (yet not annoying) service. I'm not usually a huge fan of Chinese food, but I think Mao's may just have converted me.


Mao's Chinese Restaurant
263 Brunswick Street
Fitzroy
VIC 3065
Ph: (03) 9419 1919

No comments:

Post a Comment