Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The usual place

Last Saturday night was treat night. A 9pm Comedy Fest show was decided on and my good friend (a fellow Brisbanite-turned-Melburnian) and I decided to visit another friend, who had been encouraging me to come and check out her work. I was initially hesitant when I was told there was essentially only pasta on the menu, because I tend to be stuck in the mindset that I can cook any old pasta at home whenever I want. However, when we arrived at il Solito Posto - a locals' favourite - tucked away down in the basement off George Parade - I swiftly realised this was not going to be "any old pasta". A few steps down into the softly-lit bistro and I am already at home: I can sense instantly that this will fast become a favourite. As the Italian name "il Solito Posto" suggests, this is likely to become "the usual place". Unfortunately in the English language, the word "usual" tends to conjure up notions of "common", which I feel is somewhat of an inadequate description of this hidden treasure.

Once inside, we were greeted by professional, friendly staff and a relaxed, inviting atmosphere. We were seated in a cosy corner at the bar - the only free space in the restaurant when we arrived - and perused the menu while we began a bottle of 2009 Christmont La Zona Pinot Grigio from King Valley. Shortly after ordering, we were able to move to a more comfortable spot at a table in the corner. After much ooh-ing and aah-ing, K decided on the Gnocchi Della Casa (truffled honey and pecorino gnocchi, almond flake and rosemary burnt butter) and I ordered the Fusilli Amatriciana (spirals of pasta with pancetta, chilli, onion and napoli).




To follow, we were spoiled with a complimentary dessert: warm soft-centered chocolate gnocchi with baci ice cream to share. It looked like a work of art and though absolutely stuffed full from our mains, it didn't take much convincing for us to scrape the plate clean.




The food was simply incredible. Every mouthful savoured and each one divine. But I won't even attempt to do this place justice with elaborate descriptions. All I can say is: go there. Tonight. Eat pasta, drink and be merry.

il Solito Posto
Basement, 113 Collins Street (entry on George Parade)
Melbourne
03 9654 4466
VIC

No comments:

Post a Comment